Just the facts, ma’am. In list form, because I do love me a list!
- My name is Jonna. That’s just like “Donna” but with a “j”–really, how hard can that be to pronounce? People are constantly looking at my name on a piece of paper and calling me “Jonah” or “Joanna” or that teacher in high school who called me Gina.
- Born in Custer, South Dakota. Cutest baby in the hospital. Only baby in the hospital. That’s my parent’s favorite story!
- Grew up in Topeka, Kansas where my little sister, Jolene, and I, ruled the neighborhood.
- Moved to Grand Junction, Colorado in 1979, when I was 11. Made friends there that I still talk to. Met my best friend, Michele, who passed away in 2012. I miss her every single day.
- I have a Bachelor’s Degree in English:Creative Writing:Poetry, with a minor in Music & Theater, from the University of New Mexico. It took me 10 years, three colleges, and at least seven different majors to get it. And it came in so handy in the career I ended up in.
- While I thought I was going to be a writer or a professor or a celebrity (more on that later), I ended up where I began– teaching preschool. Which I adored, and was, if I do say so myself, quite good at. All those years of studying books, music and theater were just training for a classroom full of two and a half to four year olds! I worked for Head Start, the YMCA, various independent schools, and a couple of Montessori schools.
- In the early 2000’s, I had to stop working. I’m epileptic, and the seizures, which had been under control for years, were no longer controlled. As in, I went from 2 a year to 2 a week. Not fun. Since then I’ve had numerous battles with my health.
- Chronic illness is never a fun thing. When your chronic illness is something people can’t see most of the time, it makes things even less fun! Along with Epilepsy, I have Fibromyalgia, a chronic Migraines, Major Depression with Anxiety, and a few other little things that came along for the ride. I very seldom have enough spoons.
These are the big things. Now some random stuff:
- I am obsessed with the “What’s In My Bag?” videos on YouTube. I’d make one myself, but ewww. I don’t want to hear my voice on tape!
- Handbags. Some women buy shoes. I buy bags.
- Yes, I like to take selfies. And other weird photos.
- I started my Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education at Portland State University, but the idea of all that financial aid just for a degree in something I already knew & was doing seemed ridiculous, so I quit.
- As a child I wanted to be Carol Burnett when I grew up. These days I want to be Bette Midler. Or Queen Latifah. Or Carol Burnett. Assuming I grow up.
- I still have a bit of a crush on a couple of The Monkees.
- If you ask me what I want, what I really really want, at the top of the list would be someone else to clean & declutter for me. After that there are things like a place of my own, a not-empty bank account, a green tea frappuccino,oh, yeah, and world peace.
- I am not lazy. I am the Queen of Procrastination. Long live the Queen!